The Parish of St John Vianney


Morisset Church



For the Celebration of the

Sacrament of Marriage


Cooranbong Church




The purpose of the document is to assist you in the preparation of your marriage within the Rites of the Catholic Church in the Parish of St John Vianney, Morisset.

We ask that you read this document carefully so you will understand what is involved in being married at either St John Vianney’s Morisset or St Patrick and St Brigid’s Cooranbong .



  1. Book the church: Set date and time of wedding with the Parish Administrative Assistant.
  2. Book your Celebrant.  Either your own, or, if necessary check with the parish office on your options for a Priest or Deacon from the area.
  3. At first contact you will be asked a few basic questions to fulfil requirements
    * At least one of you must be catholic.
    * Both parties must be free to marry in the eyes of both the Church and Civil Authorities. [If there are concerns consult with the priest or Deacon who can advise you.]
  4. If after consultation you wish to carry on with the wedding arrangements in our church you will need to fill out the form attached to this document together with your fees as outlined on p 4.
  5. There is a Notification of Intended Marriage Form that must be completed and given to the intended celebrant at least one month and one day prior to the wedding.  (This is a Commonwealth requirement and if the date of the wedding is less than one month and one day time frame then permission of a Magistrate is needed).
  6. You will also need to make an appointment to meet with your proposed Celebrant at least 3 months prior to the date of the wedding. 


As soon as possible you will need to gather together your documents.

  1. FULL Birth Certificates are required as excerpts do not contain the registration number.
  2. A recent copy of “Certificate of Baptism” [no more than six months old].  This is essential for the Catholic party and desirable in the non-Catholic party. This can be obtained by contacting the Parish where you were baptised.
  3. Any other papers: eg. Naturalisation, change of name, divorce papers, and annulment papers [where a marriage has been annulled by the Catholic Church.]


Please contact the priest or deacon who will be the celebrant at your wedding.  This gives him the opportunity to do the required paperwork and recommended marriage preparation.
If you are marrying a non-catholic, and you do not live in the Diocese of Maitland-Newcastle, the priest or deacon must seek either permission for a mixed marriage, or dispensation when one of the parties is not baptised, from the bishop of your diocese.  The bishop will then send the completed form to the priest or deacon Celebrant.



If your celebrant is not of the Maitland-Newcastle Diocese, he must complete the following procedures:

  • He needs to contact the Chancery for permission to conduct the marriage in this area.
  • Under the new State Child Protection laws, he must have had a police check before the marriage takes place.  It is the Celebrant’s responsibility to contact the Diocese of Maitland-Newcastle Chancery, 02 4979 1111 and arrange for this check.  The authorisation of clearance will be kept with the paperwork of the marriage in the parish where the marriage takes place.


It is recommended that each couple attend a marriage preparation course.  Marriage, like any other life choice, needs to be something that is prepared for.  It is also a requirement of the government that some form of marriage preparation be provided.  On the whole, engaged couples find these courses enjoyable and helpful.  They are designed to provide you with some valuable insights into your relationships, some skills to help you become better spouses for each other. 

The Diocese of Maitland-Newcastle has Marriage and Relationship Education Programs which can be considered at the following website:



The choice of music for your wedding ceremony is very important.  It needs to be remembered that this is also a “Religious Ceremony”. 

  • Payment of musicians is the responsibility of the couple.
  • If CD’s are used- they need to be originals and not copies.
  • If a PowerPoint presentation is used the music is not to be embedded- this breaches copyright and is not allowed.
  • If music is being printed in the booklet, relevant acknowledgement of copyright must be made and parish licence numbers must be included. Please contact the parish office for more details.
  • Any graphics and photos must also be acknowledged.
  • Use of Videos- if a video is to be made, especially if you are using a recording or recording a musical event, then you will need a single special video licence.  This licence allows for the recording of an event, as long as it is only played at a private domestic screening.  If you have a professional video person engaged he/she should already have a licence.  However it is something you need to check.
  • One Off Licences can be obtained from the following agencies:
    Recording Music:                              AMCOS, 6-12 Atchinson St, St Leonards 2065 PH: (02) 99357700
    Copying sound recording:            ARIA,     8th Floor. 263 Clarence Street Sydney 2000 PH (02) 92677996


Flowers are the responsibility of the couple.  You may wish to have your florist bring arrangements to the church and this will need to be organised with the parish office.



  • Confetti, rose petals or rice- we ask that you refrain from using either as it is very difficult to clean up.
  • Furniture is considered as fixed. Please do not rearrange seating.
  • Photographs- Please liaise with your celebrant on when and where photos may be taken.




The marriage certificate that is provided for you on the day of your marriage is not a document that can be used for purposes of identification when changing your name at government agencies.  This is a new change in the law and you will require a copy from the Director of Births, Deaths and Marriages.



Parish of St John Vianney:            60 Yambo Street, MORISSET, NSW 2264, (PO Box 87)
                                                                PH:         (02) 4973 6859
                                                                FAX:       (02) 4973.2937




Extracts taken from the Marriage Policy – Chisholm Pastoral Region and from The Toronto Parish Web page.



The usual donation for the use of the Church and for the support of the clergy is $500.


 [NB: If you are having a priest from another Diocese, any donation you make for him for his services is in addition to the above.]



To download a copy of our Marriage Policy Document, please click on the link below.
2014_0908- Marriage Policy B